Sunday 31 January 2010

KBoomer First Time Watch: Natural Born Killers

I recently bought three films I had never seen before. So this is my opinion of them after watching them the first time.
This week: Natural Born Killers 
 
So what I heard about this was it:
- A satire on news media
- Film Violence
- Funny in a wacky dark way.

What I can deduce about it from watching it is:

- It is a satire on news media and the werid hype around serial killers
- A very thin mentions of film violence
- Funny in points and not in the way I expected, funny in a dark way, but not wacky.
 
This bit was dark and wacky. Good times.
It concerns the rampage of Mickey and Mallory, two southern psychopaths, who seemed to be just as interested in killing people as becoming celebrities. It goes about explaining their orgins and how they got to this point. Mostly through a TV show called 'Americas Mainics' hosted by Robert Downey Jr. (Who's name I forget in the film). 
 
This guy. He's just Robert Downey Jr.
The TV show is pretty creepy as it pretty closely resembles American shows I've seen in the past, and is the majority of that 'dark comedy' i mentioned earlier. Another item within it is a 60s style sitcom about Mallory who is being abused by her father. Initally it's funny (it isn't so clear about it intially) but then becomes a whole lot creepier as it goes on, which I guess is the point but I wasn't prepared for something quite as unsettling as that.
When they aren't showing these TV shows, they are showing Mickey and Mallory shooting up people and starting to argue and then Robert Downey Jr. jumping around about ratings.
This all leads up to a pretty astonding climax (I'm not going to spoil it), which was absolutely mental if you saw it in reality but got it's point across propely in the end.

Oh Tommy Lee Jones is in it too. He's Cool.

So as visually it was cool in places such as the television shows being reflected on the window, 
 
This is a TV show, not a on fire window.
But for the most part there was a big problem. When I watched it, I was pretty ill and the film has a habit of using about fifty different angles and fliters a minute, which pretty much fucked over my headache. 
 
Like this mindfuck of fliter.
Now although I was ill, I'm sure when completely devoided of illness, I'm going to get annoyed by this angles and fliters. They just seemed a bit irrelvant, and if they were meant to Ironic then they overdid it. Christ that annoyed me.

Anyway, in the end I did like the film, it was nifty, smart and funny. Just not exactly what I expected.
So watch it, you'll like it. But you'll leave with a headache and a feeling of 'well that's kind of creepy'

KBoomer

No comments:

Post a Comment